Well in addition to the busy social agenda and just enjoying being together again, the therapist and I had to get Safari ready for the water! A few crucial tasks remained, some wiring, so cleaning, interior decorating, and of course figuring out the rig for the first time. As with all boats most of it didn’t go smoothly, however it we got it done (mostly) and got her in the water! A few things remained to be finished though. The mounted VHF needs to be connected to the antenna, the running lights have the wires run just not attached, and there is a little more fiber glassing to do in the bilge area. In the rig I still need to make a proper topping lift for the jib club, as well as take down the roller furling jib and lube the roller and head fitting.
What we did get done is mounting the roller and chain stop for the fancy new 16.5lbs Bruce anchor and its 10 feet of 3/8’s chain. Also the rewiring of the stern light, mounting the new VHF radio, as well as almost getting registered.
All small things really, what’s important is that we finally got our season started and she really is a sweetheart to sail. Our first trip we left Plymouth harbor and sailed out of the channel, towards the end of the beach and bug light. We tacked our way up behind Clark’s Island and feeling daring I talked the Therapist through anchoring under sail, and she did a great job at the helm while I dropped our new anchor using the new roller and chain stop. While on the hook we enjoyed lunch and the beautiful day we had for it. Afterwards we sailed back towards Plymouth hitting 6.5 knots under main and staysail alone! At this point the wind had shifted and come up quite a bit. Instead of short taking up the channel I decided to motor sail with just the main. Just about at the #17 is where the outboard gods decided to give me a bit of a flashback to a foolish day just after my senior year of high school. I had decided to take my father’s boat out, while he was on vacation, and go for another great day sail. However I had the wrong seacock open for the raw water loop on the engine, and to avoid overheating I shut the motor down around the same spot while trying to crawl along waiting for a tow. This is when I went aground on the beach, along the channel, just short of the #17. With these memories filling my head, and a stiff near head breeze, the outboard started to sputter and die. With a moment of panic and some undeserved shouting (sorry to the most amazing therapist girlfriend in the world) we managed to bear off towards the beach, gain speed to gybe, and make a couple short tacks to get around the turn in the channel and continue on for Plymouth. We tacked around near the #23 and one of the great younger guys from the boat yard came out to grab us with the work boat.
Disaster averted it ended up being a pretty great sail. I couldn’t be happier with how the boat sails, and many of the system upgrades work fantastically. Now we just need an evening on the mooring to try the cockpit “mood” lights
Here is the photo documentation provided by my other half